400+ Interesting Persuasive Speech Topics
400+ Interesting Persuasive Speech Topics
Are you struggling to find a good persuasive speech topic? We know – it can be hard to think of an interesting topic!
We’ve done all the hard work and created a list of 400+ great persuasive speech ideas for college students, teachers, and anyone interested in public speaking. They’re organized into categories to make it easier for you to find one that that genuinely interests you.
In addition to our collection of speech topic ideas, we also have some tips on selecting a good topic, as well as researching, writing, and delivering your persuasive speech.
What Makes a Good Persuasive Speech Topic?
Crafting a persuasive speech or writing a persuasive essay begins with picking the right topic. What makes a good persuasive speech topic? What are the most important factors that make it or break it when it comes to a good persuasive speech topic?
You are much more likely to be successful with your speech when you choose a topic that interests you, rather than merely picking one from a list.
Talking about something you know or would like to know more about well makes it much easier and fun!
Some speech topics have been done to death. They are tired and stale and are not likely to excite you or your audience (think abortion, gun control, smoking, same-sex marriage). Find a topic that grabs you and your audience, something new and fresh, unique and original.
A good persuasive speech topic is one that you can use to grab the audience’s attention, inform and persuade, and provide a strong persuasive argument for adopting your point of view.
You want to pick a topic that your audience cares and what to hear about.
How To Select a Good Persuasive Topic
How to narrow down this list of ideas?
First, make a rough inventory:
- Which of the speech topics are you interested in?
- What amuses you, makes you move right the way, happy or sad?
- Which topics do you know something about?
- Which topics would you like to research?
Review your inventory list and narrow your choices by answering these questions:
- Do you know global, national, state, community, job or school-related problems and solutions, issues or controversies, related to the persuasive speech ideas?
- Are you excited about any historical or current events, places, processes, organizations or interesting people?
- Do you have certain concerns, opinions, or beliefs?
- Do you think something has to change in human attitude or social values?
- Did you see or hear something in the news or read about in library books on any of these topics?
- Is there a link with personal experiences, professional or personal goals?
All the answers to the questions above help you to find your angle of approach for a conclusive speech. So, select a few specific angles. Those can serve as the basic main points.
10 Animal Persuasive Speech Topics
- Should more pets be adopted than bought from a breeder?
- Is Pitbulls a vicious breed?
- Should a dog that has bitten somebody be executed?
- Should we tame wild animals like lions and sharks?
- Should battery farming still be legal?
- Should ‘factory farming’ be banned?
- Adopting pets is the best choice.
- How do puppy mills affect us?
- The benefits of having pets.
- Why cats make the perfect pet.
12 Automotive Persuasive Speech Topics
- Should the public first learn how to drive a manual transmission before obtaining their license?
- Drivers should have to take three courses before getting a license.
- Should young children use booster seats in vehicles?
- Hands-free cell phone use in cars should be promoted.
- Should the driving age be 14?
- The danger of texting and driving.
- Watch out for animals when driving.
- Why the police should not chase a car.
- Why you should buy a Japanese car.
- Why sports cars are dangerous.
- Driving tests should be free.
- Share the road with bikes.
10 Business Persuasive Speech Topics
The world of business has so many aspects to it, but at the end of the day, they are all about customer relations, about making money and about the relationship between employers and employees.
Below are topics that can be used to persuade your audience on a variety of business topics.
A tongue in cheek topic that can be used is “Hiring a lazy person isn’t always a bad thing”, this could be used to persuade an audience that often lazy people find the quickest solution to get something done, resulting in quickly completed work because they just want to get it over and done with.
- Advertising has tons of mind games.
- Advertising standards should be higher.
- The importance of understanding niche marketing.
- Why introverts make good leaders.
- Owning a business means you will lose your friends.
- Business will harden you.
- You should never go into business with family members.
- Just because someone knows you it doesn’t mean you owe them any discounts.
- To be a business owner you must learn to be well organized.
- It’s important that a business should have a personality.
5 Constitutional Issues Persuasive Speech Topics
- Do you think it would be fair for the government to detain suspected terrorists without proper trial?
- Should flag burning as a form of protest be prohibited?
- Should every day begin with a silent prayer at school?
- Why alcohol should be illegal.
- Prayer in schools should not be mandatory.
10 Easy and Simple Persuasive Speech Topics
Below follow topics that should be easy enough to persuade your audience without going into too much research. There are some which can be used as ‘tongue in cheek’ topics such as ‘The paparazzi are the real stalkers’ and ‘People need to visit the dentist more often’.
- People should not text while driving.
- Celebrities who break the law should receive stiffer penalties.
- Teachers should pass a basic exam every few years to renew their certification.
- Cities should offer free bike-sharing programs.
- People should eat less junk food.
- We should do more to end poverty and world hunger.
- We should value the elders in our society and learn from their wisdom.
- Money can’t buy love or happiness.
- Children should be offered incentives for doing right, rather than punishment for wrongdoing.
- More recycling should be encouraged.
9 Economy Persuasive Speech Topics
- Should products manufactured outside the U.S. come with an additional tax?
- Buy products that are made in the USA.
- Free trade agreements are bad for workers.
- The trade deficit with China is dangerous.
- The minimum wage should be increased.
- Daylight savings time has many advantages for our economy.
- The oil companies are to blame for rising energy prices.
- In most countries, the economy is in the mighty hands of just a few multinational corporations.
- Hiring cheaper foreign employees hurt our economy.
10 Education Persuasive Speech Topics
- Teachers should have to pass a test of basic skills every decade to renew their certifications.
- Should free college tuition be offered to poor children?
- Would it be better to introduce a set of skills tests for students, before they graduate high school?
- Do you believe that students who are responsible for cyberbullying should be expelled from school?
- Would it be better if high school students completed community service hours to graduate?
- Do you think elementary and high school students should be allowed to use cell phones at school?
- Should students have to be on the honor roll in order to play sports?
- Art and music programs in public schools are an essential part of education.
- Schools should have the right to search students’ personal property (backpacks, lockers, pockets) to fight drugs in schools.
- Do you think students should be allowed to listen to music during study hall?
10 Environment Persuasive Speech Topics
- Should there be stricter laws for protecting endangered species?
- Should only native plants be grown in gardens?
- More people should carpool or use public transportation.
- Should the U.S. limit the use of natural resources?
- How pollution is negatively affecting humanity.
- We should use algae to make oil instead of drilling.
- Why hydraulic fracturing should be banned.
- Why we shouldn’t use disposable diapers.
- Hybrid cars are good for the environment.
- We should keep our community clean.
10 Ethics Persuasive Speech Topics
- Do you think female construction workers should have the same salary as male construction workers?
- Should assisted suicide to be legal for people who suffer from terminal illnesses?
- Do you think the death penalty is the best punishment for dangerous criminals?
- Should you base your perspective of people on stereotypes you have heard?
- Should product testing on animals or humans be allowed?
- Why you should not choose your child’s genetics.
- Are people morally obligated to help the poor?
- Female genital mutilation should be stopped.
- Is it ethical to eat meat?
- Wearing fur is unethical.
10 Family Persuasive Speech Topics
- Should underaged people be allowed to consume alcohol at home, with parental permission?
- Should children 13 or younger be allowed to watch music videos or music channels like MTV?
- Do you think those older than 13 should be allowed into R-rated movies?
- Should teenagers be allowed to purchase violent video games?
- Is it appropriate for children to watch horror movies?
- Those under 16 should not be allowed to date.
- Parental pressure on child actors and athletes is harmful.
- Why parents should not hit their children.
- Fairy tales are good for young children.
- Why kids should not play R rated games.
6 Fashion Persuasive Speech Topics
- Men should wear pink.
- Choose an Eco-Fashion Fabrics Wardrobe!
- Are Sustainable Clothes Really Sustainable?
- Jewelry: Less Is More.
- Fashion Reveals Your True Identity.
- Fashion Is An Expression Of The Character
11 Financial Persuasive Speech Topics
- Why banks should ban hats and sunglasses to avoid robberies.
- Student loans should be forgiven.
- Reservation casinos are only beneficial if managed correctly.
- The national debt is everyone’s problem.
- Purchasing a car is smarter than leasing one.
- The Japanese yen is affected by the weakness of the dollar.
- The Euro currency will oust the dollar.
- The Chinese Yuan / Japanese Yen / European Euro will all surpass the Dollar as leading currency.
- Phase the penny coin out.
- Severe budget cuts are the only way to maximize good financial results.
- Keeping a close eye on personal finance is key in achieving something in life.
Written by English Speeches